There will be no BeneLeague Championship this year
New competition start date
Arnhem, August 13, 2020 – The Supervisory Board of the BENE-League and the Manager of the BENE-League, after consultation, have decided to start the 2020/2021 BENE-League championship on the weekend of 10 / October 11, 2020.
In order to determine a new championship start date for the BENE-League of Handball, the Supervisory Board of the BENE-League had asked the national federations to formulate various possible scenarios taking into account both health and the possibility of playing. the BENE-League.
On the basis of the various proposals, the managers of the BENE-League of Handball have decided as follows:
- Different scenarios will apply. If the first scenario is not applicable depending on the evolution of the COVID-19 situation, the next scenario will automatically be taken into account, unless the circumstances do not allow it.
- The BENE-League will start on the weekend of 10/11 October. This corresponds to the Belgian request for postponement of matches and allows the Netherlands to launch a national championship if they wish.
- If the current situation in Belgium is not sufficiently normalized (a formal Go-No-Go meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 2, 2020), the start of the BENE-League will be postponed to a weekend in the second fortnight. of the month of November. In this case, the Netherlands can, if they wish, finish their national championship. It is also possible to play in a league in Belgium (for example, for the Belgian Cup).
- If it turns out that the situation on November 1 of COVID-19 is such that the BENE-League cannot start in November, a scenario with a start in January will be taken into account. An exact date will not yet be determined, as the international calendar will probably also be adapted.
- Currently, the Final Four is still on the program and will determine the champion. If this is not possible, the officials of the BENE-League will decide later.
- Considering the current situation around COVID-19 with all its uncertainties, it is nevertheless possible that other decisions should be taken in the future for the BENE-League of Handball.
Due to current containment measures for Coronavirus, it is impossible to organize the Final-4. Therefore, it was decided that the BENE-League would keep the final classification of the classic phase as the general final classification.
Unlike other sports competitions, the 22 match days of the classic phase of the BENE-League were fully played.
Achille Bocholt finished first with 9 points ahead of his closest pursuer. With 737 goals scored, Achille Bocholt is the most prolific attack in the BENE-League, but is also the least permeable defense with only 569 goals conceded.
This final result allowed Achilles Bocholt to win his 5th BENE-League, but also, and it should be emphasized, the fourth consecutive.
BENE-League 2019-2020 final ranking:
- Achilles Bocholt 41 points
- KEMBIT-LIONS 32 points
- HERPERTZ / BEVO HC 32 points
- HC Visé BM 29 points