New competition start date
Arnhem, August 13, 2020 – The Supervisory Board of the BENE-League and the Manager of the BENE-League, after consultation, have decided to start the 2020/2021 BENE-League championship on the weekend of 10 / October 11, 2020.
In order to determine a new championship start date for the BENE-League of Handball, the Supervisory Board of the BENE-League had asked the national federations to formulate various possible scenarios taking into account both health and the possibility of playing. the BENE-League.
On the basis of the various proposals, the managers of the BENE-League of Handball have decided as follows:
- Different scenarios will apply. If the first scenario is not applicable depending on the evolution of the COVID-19 situation, the next scenario will automatically be taken into account, unless the circumstances do not allow it.
- The BENE-League will start on the weekend of 10/11 October. This corresponds to the Belgian request for postponement of matches and allows the Netherlands to launch a national championship if they wish.
- If the current situation in Belgium is not sufficiently normalized (a formal Go-No-Go meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 2, 2020), the start of the BENE-League will be postponed to a weekend in the second fortnight. of the month of November. In this case, the Netherlands can, if they wish, finish their national championship. It is also possible to play in a league in Belgium (for example, for the Belgian Cup).
- If it turns out that the situation on November 1 of COVID-19 is such that the BENE-League cannot start in November, a scenario with a start in January will be taken into account. An exact date will not yet be determined, as the international calendar will probably also be adapted.
- Currently, the Final Four is still on the program and will determine the champion. If this is not possible, the officials of the BENE-League will decide later.
- Considering the current situation around COVID-19 with all its uncertainties, it is nevertheless possible that other decisions should be taken in the future for the BENE-League of Handball.